CDC

If you have any concerns or questions about COVID-19, please, please for the love, go to the CDC website. They will have the most accurate information you need.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Indelible by Lani Woodland

Sixteen-year-old Yara Silva has always known that ghosts walk alongside the living. Her grandma, like the other females in her family, is a Waker, someone who can see and communicate with ghosts. Yara grew up watching her grandmother taunted and scorned for this unusual ability and doesn't want that to be her future. She has been dreading the day when she too would see ghosts, and is relieved that the usually dominant Waker gene seems to have skipped her, letting her live a normal teenage life. However, all that changes for Yara on her first day at her elite boarding school when she discovers the gene was only lying dormant. She witnesses a dark mist attack Brent, a handsome fellow student, and rushes to his rescue. Her act of heroism draws the mist s attention, and the dark spirit begins stalking her. Yara finds herself entrenched in a sixty-year-old curse that haunts the school, threatening not only her life, but the lives of her closest friends as well. Yara soon realizes that the past she was trying to put behind her isn't going to go quietly.

First line:
"Being stuck in California rush-hour traffic wasn't nearly so bad when I had something to keep me busy."


Second book of Yara and the Pendrell school. 
Yara now understands her 'gift' and still doesn't really want it. Seeing and talking to ghosts isn't her idea of normal.
But her talents will help the school and students and keep them safe. If she can keep her self out of danger or getting killed.
Or possessed.
Yara doesn't realize how strong her powers are until she comes up against a very angry ghost. 

Ms. Woodland doesn't an excellent job in characterizations, plot, twists, storyline and pacing. I wanted to keep reading to find out what would happen to Yara and Brent. And who was the bad guy? And how were Yara and her friends getting out of this one??

The mystery, paranormal, romance and intrigue kept me reading.
Oh! And my name is in this book! I'm the flour sack baby. 


What I liked: 
Vovo
Yara 
Yara & Brent relationship
Flour sack (of course)


What I didn't like:
um, nothing really. 
A few editing errors


Rating: PG 13
L: Don't remember any
S: Kissing
V: fights, angry ghosts, bad guys


25% test (p.99):
"...more juicy Waker secrets. That faulty belief had led Cherie to spy on Vovo more than once.
"So, what makes you think my friends need the necklaces."
Vovo threw an amused grin at Cherie, who hadn't been as stealthy as she thought.
"I've had a dream of darkness settling at Pendrell again. Although it didn't so much settle as raise from the ground." She cocked her head to the side thinking. "I'm not sure what it means yet, but I decided your friends should have them, just in case."
"You had a dream too?" I sat up tall and held her gaze. "About a fire?"
"Yes. I dreamed of the fire, but I also had a vision of the darkness." She shivered and paled slightly before pointing to the jewelry again. "I want you to hand them out to everyone who's close to you. I made some boy pieces too."
I pulled the box close and inspected the contents again.
"This is cute," I said, holding up what looked like a surfer necklace with a single large bead in the center and smaller ones worked into the knotted cord. I could see Brent wearing it. "I'm glad these will protect my friends but what about me? Isn't there something I can do to keep this ghost away from me? I don't want anything to do with her, and I certainly don't want to be waiting around for her to reappear."
Vovo rubbed her hand across her forehead, her shoulders slumping. "There is nothing you can do but wait. Fique tranquila."
"Stay calm?" 
She kissed the top of my head. "We'll keep you safe and figure this out."
"So should we prepare to banish her?" I asked, dropping the necklace back into the box. Banishing a..."

No comments:

Post a Comment