CDC

If you have any concerns or questions about COVID-19, please, please for the love, go to the CDC website. They will have the most accurate information you need.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Chocolate Roses by Joan Sowards


Janie Rose Whitaker's world revolved around her chocolate shop until Roger Wentworth and his young daughter moved into the apartment across from Janie's. Anyone would think Roger fit the mold of the "perfect" guy, but soon Janie discovers secrets that could keep them apart forever. Though she resists getting involved in Roger's complicated life, they are drawn further into a bittersweet relationship.

You will laugh, cry, and crave chocolate as you read this LDS paraody of the classic novel Jane Eyre.

Good, clean LDS romance with intrigue, humor and chocolate.

Janie and her sister own and run a high end chocolate store. Every Tuesday, a very handsome and mysterious man enters the shop and orders a chocolate rose to be delivered. Janie has a crush (obsession) on the man. Events take an interesting turn when he and his daughter moves in next door to Janie. Add the mystery of who the rose goes to, quirky characters and a crime and you have the mixture of a good story.
The only problem I had was in my own head. I kept trying to compare it to Jane Eyre and that aspect of the book didn't work for me. The similarities were: reclusive older man with daughter; the main character is older; a crazy wife and fire.
I did like the Jane Eyre quotes at the beginning of each chapter. I didn't recognize quite a few of them so now I really want to reread Jane Eyre.
This story is a quick, witty read.
You know what would be cool with this book? A Kara's chocolate :)

Rating: PG
L: None
S: None
V: Kidnapping scene

I've been wanting to try the 'page 69' test on my reviews. Supposedly, if you turn to page 69, you can tell right away if it's a book you want to read. Or at the very least, it will entice you.
Let's try it and you tell me what you think.

"Please excuse us Brother Toone," I said and pulled on Roger's arm for him to follow.
All heads turned to watch us leave the chapel We didn't walk into the foyer-just far enough into the hall to see the girl/
"That woman," i said, pointing guardedly toward the door, "Came into the shop looking for you about two weeks ago. She claimed she was your sister."
The ward busybody, sister Lilly, passed us at that moment, looking at me with raised eyebrows.Roger watched the woman who stood outside. "I don't know who she is, and she is not my sister. "--" As the woman turned, he stopped mid-sentence, took my arm, and hurried me back into the chapel.
"What is it?" I asked, noticing that the color had drained from his handsome face. I pulled him over to sit on the back pew. "Who is she?"
""She's--" He rubbed his forehead. "I can't let her see me, but if she does..." e looked around the chapel. "Will you please take Emily hoe?" He pulled out his cell phone and and opened a new contact window, then pushed the phone into my hand. "Put your number in here so I can call you."
This wasn't quite the moment i had always dreamed of when he would finally ask me for my phone number. But in an odd way, the previously fantasized Relief Society/priesthood unity had just clicked for Roger and me.
"I'll be glad to keep Emily," I declared as I punched in my cell number. "I'll need to take her with me to my sister's for dinner. But pleas tell me what's going on!"
He stood and took his phone, then took hold of my hand. "I'll have to explain later. Thanks for helping me out again."
He turned, left the chapel, and quickly headed out the foyer on the opposite side of the chapel.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the great review! I'll have to try the page 69 test. I hope CR passed the test!

    ReplyDelete