CDC

If you have any concerns or questions about COVID-19, please, please for the love, go to the CDC website. They will have the most accurate information you need.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

THE GOLDEN SPIRAL by Lisa Mangum


His eyes. His touch. His kiss. Dante was unlike anyone Abby had ever met. Now he’s gone, and Abby will do anything to get him back… The hourglass door has closed behind Dante, sending him back in time to hunt down Zo, Tony, and V. Abby knows that Dante, as a Master of Time, is the only one who can stop them from destroying time itself. She also knows that he will need her help. But almost immediately, things start to change and Abby’s worst fears are realized when Zo begins targeting her past specifically. With each new change that ripples into her present, Abby’s life continues to spiral out of control. Her relationships with Jason, Natalie, and even her family, are threatened to the breaking point – and beyond. Zo’s power is greater than Abby ever imagined, and as she struggles to free Dante, she receives help from an unexpected – and unlikely – ally. As Abby’s world fractures around her, she must face a terrible truth: either Dante didn’t make it through the door, or he is lost forever. So with Dante’s blueprints in hand, she begins construction on a new door, a new time machine that will either save Dante – or doom him. The river of time is running wild, churning up secrets and betrayals, revelations and promises. With each new turn of the river, Abby faces a new challenge. Who can she trust? And how many more changes can she survive? The bank is eroding, the barriers are thinning. And time is running out.

Interesting, well-written story. I would strongly suggest reading The Hourglass Door before picking the second installment in this trilogy. It took me quite a few chapters to get back into the swing of the story and even then I was still lost on a few details.
I felt like either I was missing something important with the whole time river idea or I was making it harder to understand than it was.
I didn't feel like I connected with character except the crazy ones. I had no sympathy for their plight.
The romance didn't make my heart thump. I actually liked Zo and his creepiness. He seemed to have more depth than Dante.
I'm debating if I want to read the last book. But in most trilogies, it seems the second book is the weakest. So maybe I should give the third a chance??

Rating: PG 13
V: Some
L: No
S: No

Page 69 test:
"By the time I woke up in the hospital four days later, he was already gone. That had been the last time I'd seen him. Until today.
I opened my eyes to check the time, and a fracture of white in the field of black caught my attention. Perhaps something had survived the blaze after all.
I ducked under the tape, carefully avoiding the burnt beams and twisted metal that lay scattered on the blackened earth.
It wasn't so easy to avoid the memories that flooded through me with each step.
Here was where the Signature Wall used to stand, collecting the names of my friends in their individual scribbles and scrawls.
Here was where Leo had tended bar, and where he had offered me his famous Midnight Kiss, filled with a story and a wish.
Here was the stage where Dante had recited his poem and where Zo and his band had played "Into the River" for the first time.
Here were the stairs that led to Dante's room, where I had forced my way to the bank to save him--only to let him go.
A sliver of white glimmered like polished bone amid the wreckage of the Dungeon. I crouched down, carefully brushing away the gray ash that coated the ground.
A delicate face smiled up at me. I recognized it immediately as the porcelain ballerina from Leo's cabinet of curiosities. I was amazed that anything had survived the fire, especially something as fragile as this. I turned her over carefully in my fingers, wiping..."

No comments:

Post a Comment