CDC

If you have any concerns or questions about COVID-19, please, please for the love, go to the CDC website. They will have the most accurate information you need.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Strange Case of the Origami Yoda by Tom Angleberger


In this funny, uncannily wise portrait of the dynamics of a sixth-grade class and of the greatness that sometimes comes in unlikely packages, Dwight, a loser, talks to his classmates via an origami finger puppet of Yoda. If that weren’t strange enough, the puppet is uncannily wise and prescient. Origami Yoda predicts the date of a pop quiz, guesses who stole the classroom Shakespeare bust, and saves a classmate from popularity-crushing embarrassment with some well-timed advice. Dwight’s classmate Tommy wonders how Yoda can be so smart when Dwight himself is so clueless. With contributions from his puzzled classmates, he assembles the case file that forms this novel.

I really enjoyed the total realistic, gross, weird, humorous viewpoint of sixth graders!
I also enjoyed the "case studies" done by the main character on crumbly-looking paper.
And who wouldn't enjoy making their own Origami Yoda from the instructions at the end of the book?
Excellent read for boys! And girls will like it too.

Rating: G
S: none
L: none
V: none

Page 69 test:
"...bags into my backpack and an old Elmo backpack I used to use. U had to leave all my books at home. And then I put on my winter coat and stuck the rest of the bags into all the different pockets. It was still a little chilly outside so I didn't look too crazy, I hop.
As soon as I got to school, I crammed it all in my locker.
Yoda had been right about there being an assembly. It was Mr. Good Clean Fun. Mr. Good Clean Fun comes to our school every couple of months to talk about how we should was our hands after using the bathroom and take baths and things like that. His puppet is a singing monkey.
Mr. Good clean Fun does his show for one grade at a time, and us sixth-graders weren't having our assembly until 1:30, the beginning of seventh period.
Now, remember that everybody had heard Dwight?Yoda the day before at lunch, so everybody knew what I was doing. And they asked me about it all day long.
"You really brought the Cheetos, Quavondo? I don't believe it," said Tater Tot. It was working already! He called me by my name and not Cheeto Hog!"

No comments:

Post a Comment