CDC

If you have any concerns or questions about COVID-19, please, please for the love, go to the CDC website. They will have the most accurate information you need.

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Die For Me by Amy Plum


My life had always been blissfully, wonderfully normal. But it only took one moment to change everything.
Suddenly, my sister, Georgia, and I were orphans. We put our lives into storage and moved to Paris to live with my grandparents. And I knew my shattered heart, my shattered life, would never feel normal again. Then I met Vincent.
Mysterious, sexy, and unnervingly charming, Vincent Delacroix appeared out of nowhere and swept me off my feet. Just like that, I was in danger of losing my heart all over again. But I was ready to let it happen.
Of course, nothing is ever that easy. Because Vincent is no normal human. He has a terrifying destiny, one that puts his life at risk every day. He also has enemies . . . immortal, murderous enemies who are determined to destroy him and all of his kind.
While I'm fighting to piece together the remnants of my life, can I risk putting my heart—as well as my life and my family's—in jeopardy for a chance at love?

Along the vein of Twilight, Kate falls for a paranormal, gorgeous guy she can't have. Vincent and his "kindred" are revenants or zombies or the undead who are good the good guys. They save people, often getting killed. But then three days later, they resurrected and live again.
Ms. Plum did a good job of building the world but not taking me out of the story with too much detail. She gave a distinct voice and characteristics to each character.
I loved the way Vincent, Jules and Ambrose treated Kate with kindness and good manners.
Kate and her sister became orphans and within the next few weeks, flew to Paris to live with grandparents. Kate is depressed until she meets Vincent, a very handsome distraction.
Kate's life turns a corner as her heart opens to love again. But then things get wonky when she witnesses a deadly accident and the victim is alive the next week.

There are a few differences between Die For Me and Twilight: no love triangle; Vincent doesn't want to drain Kate's body of blood; Kate has a sister but no parents; the setting is in Paris.

Similarities: Intense pull of main characters, though they shouldn't be together; almost instant attraction; to kill a revenant you must cut off the head and burn the body; Vincent belongs to a "family" of similar paranormals, one hates Kate, the others love her; there is a discussion rather or not to disclose the revenants true identities; Kate tries to save Vincent; Vincent saves Kate and kills the bad guy; the revenants appear to be 19 or 20 but are much, much older.

Rating: PG 13
V: Fighting, death, decapitation
L: few swear words sprinkled throughout, Lord's name in vain
S: lots of tension

Want to buy it?


25% test (p. 85):
"I met his eyes as I wiped my tears away with shaking fingers.
"Oh my God, I've terrified you," he said, taking his first good look at me. He stepped backward. "I've done this all wrong. I'm such an idiot." Be careful, I told myself, he might just be acting. But he's sure doing a believable job with the remorse.
"Okay, let me explain"--he hesitated--"as much as I can. I'm not going to hurt you. I swear, Kate. And I promise Vincent will be fine. It's not what it seems. But I just need to talk to the others--the other people who live here--before I can let you leave."
I nodded. Jules was acting a lot saner than he had a few minutes before. And he was looking so apologetic that I almost (but not quite) felt sorry for him. Even if I want to run, I thought, I can't get past the security gate outside.
He reached his hand toward me, this time in a peaceful way, as if he wanted to place it comfortingly on my forearm, but I recoiled.
"Okay. It's okay," he soothed, raiding his hands in the air in an I surrender gesture. "I won't touch you again."
He looked really upset now. "I know,' he said, speaking to the air. "I'm a total moron," and began walking down the hallway toward the foyer. "Please follow me, Kate," he said in a downcast voice.
I followed him. What other choice did I have?
He led me up the winding double staircase to the second floor and down a hallway. Opening a door to a darkened room, he flicked on the lights and stayed in the hallway as I walked in."

No comments:

Post a Comment