CDC

If you have any concerns or questions about COVID-19, please, please for the love, go to the CDC website. They will have the most accurate information you need.

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Where I Belong by Gwendolyn Heasley


Meet Corrinne. She's living every girl's dream in New York City—shopping sprees at Barneys, open access to the best clubs and parties, and her own horse at the country club. Her perfect life is perfectly on track. At least it was. . . .
When Corrinne's father is laid off, her world suddenly falls apart. Instead of heading to boarding school, she's stripped of her credit cards and shipped off to the boonies of Texas to live with her grandparents. On her own in a big public school and forced to take a job shoveling manure, Corrinne is determined to get back to the life she's supposed to be living. She doesn't care who she stomps on in the process. But when Corrinne makes an unlikely friend and discovers a total hottie at work, she begins to wonder if her life B.R.—before the recession—was as perfect as it seemed.

Poor Corrinne! She was born with her daddy's credit card in her mouth and no limits. She shops and demands the best. She's self-centered, egotistical and full of herself in Manhattan.
Then her daddy gets laid off and Corrinne's life becomes B.R. (before recession) and A.R. (after recession). Her family can't afford the few houses, maids, cooks, clothes, cars and lifestyle they once lived. So Corrinne and her brother are shipped off to grandparents in Texas. No way is Corrinne going to enjoy her time in the Lone Star state. But little by little she is taken in with the friends she makes and their way of living. She's surprised to learn she CAN wear a $24.99 dress and look good in it.
Loved Corrine's vocab and thoughts at the beginning of the book and watching as she changed. She became more aware of others, learned a work ethic and opened her eyes to the love of family.
Book ended too soon or abruptly for me but other than that, it was enjoyable.

Rating:PG 13
V: None
L: None that I can remember
S: Kissing

Want to buy it?




25% test (p. 72):
"...friends. See you after the game."
As, so this is tailgating. The all-American ritual of hanging out in parking lots and eating unidentifiable grilled meats out of pickup trucks. In the city, we would never do this because we use cars to get from place to place, not as party furniture. The whole scene seems rather disgusting, and I hope that it forces me to lose my growing appetite.
I am relieved to see that the young people dress up somewhat for the event. Getting ready, I worried that my outfit--a soft gray linen dress with a pink cardigan--might be too extreme. Because I lack pride or any feelings other than hatred toward Broken Spoke, I had no desire to wear gray. But ultimately I decided there's no use in sticking out more than I already do, so I wore it anyway.
I need to iPhone this tailgate scene to my father in Dubai. Seeing me here might change his attitude. he says football is for meatheads; real gentlemen golf and play polo, games of skill, not brute force. I don't exactly agree, but I am willing to use anything to my advantage. of course, the eight-hour time difference is making it a bit difficult to get ahold of him.
Since Tripp galloped off with his friends, I am left with Grandma, Grandpa, and their group of friends, which appears to includes the entire town.
Grandma pulls me up to a large group of ladies wearing Mockingbird gear."

No comments:

Post a Comment