CDC

If you have any concerns or questions about COVID-19, please, please for the love, go to the CDC website. They will have the most accurate information you need.

Friday, July 29, 2011

I'm Not Her by Janet Gurtler

“For the first time in my life, I didn’t feel envy…”

Tess is the exact opposite of her beautiful, athletic sister. And that’s okay. Kristina is the sporty one, Tess is the smart one, and they each have their place. Until Kristina is diagnosed with cancer. Suddenly Tess is the center of the popular crowd, everyone eager for updates. There are senior boys flirting with her. Yet the smiles of her picture-perfect family are cracking and her sister could be dying. Now Tess has to fill a new role: the strong one. Because if she doesn’t hold it together, who will?


Great story about family, survival, will power, courage, being yourself and growth. 
Tess's older, popular, athletic sister has cancer. How will Mom, Dad, Kristina and Tess handle the information? That is what the story is about and how the people around them are affected as well. The characters are unique with their own voices and personalities and especially growth.
I thought it was a little unrealistic for Tess to take her parents. BUT! I was thinking the same things Tess said them. LOVED Tess's "bodyguard."

Be yourself is a huge theme in this book.




Rating: PG 14
S: main character loses her virginity so she won't die a virgin (only told about, not written). Drunk teens groping each other.
V: No but some parts are about cancer and death.
L: I can't remember...




25% test (p.71):
"...jewelry and a blue dress under an open white lab coat. I think how unfair it is that she seems to have been dealt an overabundance of good genes. Brains. Beauty. She got it ll.
She touches Kristina's shoulder a she passes. i have an urge to yell at the doctor, to demand she tell us it's all been a big mistake. 
I glare at her, wanting her to fix my sister with her slender, pretty hands. Make the nightmare go away. mom closes the book she's been snooping in and moves back, sitting int he chair beside Kristina. Dad doesn't budge, but follows the doctor with his eyes. The doctor walks around her desk, clicks a key on the keyboard, and checks the screen for a second before turning her attention to Kristina. My sister stares at her and her eyes fill with tears. when I look at Dr Turner's face, I know immediately. The news isn't good. I feel sick to my stomach.
I blink rapidly, trying to keep my tears inside.
"Kristina," Dr. Turner says, and shifts her hip against the desk, not sitting yet. She nods at my parents. they've already met, formal introductions have been made. She smiles at me. "You must be Tess," she says, but doesn't seem to expect an answer, which is good because my throat is too tight, nothing, no sound is capable of coming out.
We all stare at her, holding our breath as a family. Waiting.
She sits in her chair, and leans back. "The tumor is directly above the knee. As expected with this type of cancer, we're looking at a Stage 2B. The mass is larger than I would like, but despite that, we're going to do what we can to help you keep your leg, Kristina. Many osteo patients can have limb-saving treatment and that's what we'll hope for you."

No comments:

Post a Comment