CDC

If you have any concerns or questions about COVID-19, please, please for the love, go to the CDC website. They will have the most accurate information you need.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Perfect You by Elizabeth Scott

Her father has quit his job to sell vitamins at the mall, and Kate is forced to work with him. Her best friend has become popular, and now she acts like Kate's invisible.

And then there's Will. Gorgeous, unattainable Will, whom Kate acts like she can't stand even though she can't stop thinking about him. When Will starts acting interested, Kate hates herself for wanting him when she's sure she's just his latest conquest.

Kate figures that the only way things will ever stop hurting so much is if she keeps to herself and stops caring about anyone or anything. What she doesn't realize is that while life may not always be perfect, good things can happen -- but only if she lets them..


I'll be honest: not one of my favorite books. I won't read it again. I couldn't connect with the character, Kate, and her need to continually push the cute boy away who wanted to be with her and yet couldn't get over her best friend dumping her to be popular.
 I kept reading because of the intriguing relationships throughout the book. I also kept wondering when someone would be honest with themselves and each other.
The boy Kate thinks is hot is always kissing girls in the hall. Kate thinks it's disgusting but then she invites him over and over again to make out in the back alleys of the mall.
While there is a mom and dad involved, they don't have a happy ending.
Also, I get tired of the "F" word in YA.

Rating: PG 17
V: No
L: Yes, sprinkled throughout; "F" bombs
S: Making out, kissing etc

Want to buy it?



First line: "Vitamins had ruined my life."


25% test (p.70):
"I felt stupid for being so nervous before. For spending so much time thinking about the kiss. For thinking it was amazing
I was angry, too. I knew he was just a guy and there were plenty more in the world, but I wasn't going to get a chance to do my first kiss over again and it wasn't fair that it had been ruined.
I faked a headache in my last class and got a pas to the nurse's office. I didn't go there, though.  I went to the gym. I knew Will's schedule, and last period he worked in the coachess' office because the internship he was supposed to have ended when the sponsoring company went bankrupt.
I was walking past the trophy case when the gym office doors flew open and Anna came out, her arms so full of photocopies that all I could see was the top of her head. One of the copies slithered off the top of the pile and hit the floor.
"Crap," she said, and then kicked off one of he shoes, nudging the copy with her foot. I saw her toes try to grab it, and suddenly thought I might cry.
She was still Anna. My Anna, who could pick things up with her toes and who once, on a bet, had picked up two quarters in a row. Twice. Todd had to drive us to the  movies, pay for our tickets, and buy us popcorn because of that.
"Here," I said, and picked up the copy, handing it to her.
She froze for a moment and then said, "Can you put it on top of the stack?"
I did.
"Thanks," she said, sliding her show back on and gingerly shifting the stack of copies to the side a bit, just enough so I could see her face. She was grinning, actually grinning." I guess the..."


No comments:

Post a Comment