CDC

If you have any concerns or questions about COVID-19, please, please for the love, go to the CDC website. They will have the most accurate information you need.

Friday, November 11, 2011

Geek Girl by Cindy Bennett

"Think I can turn that boy bad?" 17-year-old Jen turns her life upside down when, out of boredom, she makes a bet that she can turn school geek Trevor into someone like her. Instead, the goth girl finds herself sucked into his world of sci-fi movies, charity work, and even-ugh!-bowling. To truly belong with him-and with her new foster family-she must first come to terms with her violent past.

Authors note: Geek Girl has been optioned by Cedar Fort Publishing, and is therefore currently unavailable. It will become available again in December, 2011. Thanks to everyone who has asked about it, and want to know when it will be available!


First line:
"Think I could turn that boy bad?"

Girl gets boy, girl loses boy, girl gets boy again. This is the basic plot behind GEEK GIRL but it's sooo much more!
Jen is in the foster care system and deals with it by being emo with a crowd of emo friends who like to party. Out of boredom, she bets her friends she can "turn" a geek boy emo too.
Doesn't turn out like Jen thinks it will.
I enjoyed the characters! Jen was quirky, funny, and hiding from her pain. She believes she's unlovable and leaves the foster families before she can get hurt.
Trevor is awesome. Kind, courteous, cute and great dimples. He sees past Jen's black clothes and makeup to who she really is.
Jen soon learns Trev is a great guy. She feels a connection with him and feels herself falling for him which scares her because she's not good enough for anyone.
Loved the sci-fi references. Loved the cute romance. Loved the relationships. Loved the book.

I highly recommend this clean, high school romance to any teen!

Rating: PG
L: None
V: None
S: None

5 STARS

(book provided by Netgalley for review)
25% test (p. 70):
"He turns away from me.
"You thought it was sappy?" He sounds a little upset. I sit up and scoot to the edge of the bed so I can see his face.
"Yeah, I guess I did. but good sappy."
He looks at me sardonically. What, exactly, is good sappy?"
I shrug. "Well, you know, really romantic. That kind of thing."
"You don't like romantic?"
"Do I strike you as someone who likes romantic?"
Now he shrugs. "I think you have a lot of layers that you hide."
"Trev, you really have to stop thinking there's more to me than meets the eye."
"There is." I groan at his words and he laughs. "To tell you the truth, that song was something I've been working on."
I reach out and grab his hand with a gasp.
"That's a song you're writing?" He nods. "And I bashed it." my tone indicates my distress.
"It's okay. Not a big deal."
It is a big deal. I don't want to hurt you."
Even as I say the words that are the truth, I know they are also a lie because Of everything I do now will eventually hurt him, or at least hurt who he is.
He gives me a wry smile and shrugs, self-conscious. "I wrote it for you."
"For me?" I refuse to acknowledge the the feelings that try to push their way to the surface at this.
"Yeah, you know, inspired by you. Dumb, huh?"
I lean my head on his shoulder and place my hand over his, but instead of going stiff as I have come to expect whenever I touch him, re relaxes into me and leans his head against mine." (le sigh)(my note)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Taffy, for this GREAT review! I really appreciate your reading and reviewing the book. And I love your "le sigh". :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Cindy and Sherry!

    ReplyDelete