CDC

If you have any concerns or questions about COVID-19, please, please for the love, go to the CDC website. They will have the most accurate information you need.

Friday, January 27, 2012

We'll Always Have Summer by Jenny Han

It's been two years since Conrad told Belly to go with Jeremiah. She and Jeremiah have been inseparable ever since, even attending the same college-- only, their relationship hasn't exactly been the happily ever after Belly had hoped it would be. And when Jeremiah makes the worst mistake a boy can make, Belly is forced to question what she thought was true love. Does she really have a future with Jeremiah? Has she ever gotten over Conrad? It's time for Belly to decide, once and for all, who has her heart forever.

First line:
"On Wednesday nights when I was little, my mom and I would watch old musicals."

The last book of the Summer series. Phew!
The last book to finally find out who Belly chooses.
Even though I knew who she would choose because of the alternate chapters of one of the brothers, Jenny Han made it hard for the reader to decide who would be the right one.
Jere is cute and funny and sunshine.
Conrad is brooding and dark and deep.
But one of the them loves her enough to give her up to make her happy.
When  Jere and Belly announce they are getting married, everyone is against it, mostly because they are too young. The sad part is everyone thinks the couple is getting married because Belly's pregnant. Belly's still a virgin. A few people even asked her why she has to get married? Why not just live together first? She's conflicted about that idea, but mostly because of the pressure.
Jenny also did well portraying the couple as immature and young. They drove me nuts as they tried to plan the wedding and get an apartment because they are so young. Jere doesn't have a job; he dad pays for everything. Belly has a waitress job during the summer. Seriously, how are these two going to survive? Jere wants the apartment closest to campus so he can be near his frat brothers. Belly wants one not filled with parties.
The angst Belly goes through when she sees Conrad again. It's heart wrenching. I wanted her to just decide already. She wanted to do what was right. She loves both brothers. Only one will really take care of her.


Rating: PG 15
V: Someone gets punched
L: Yes. "F" bombs
S: No. Kissing.

What I liked:
The tension
Belly's a virgin throughout the series
A satisfying ending with a little heartbreak

What I didn't like:
"F" bombs. They take me out of any story

4 STARS


25% test (p. 73):
"So it wasn't such a big deal after all, my not living with them. Life goes on, I guessed. I felt a little wistful, imagining what it would be like if I was still the fourth. Shay was really good at doing hair, and Lynn loved to bake cupcakes. It would be fun.
Anika sat down on her bed. "I'll be fine. I'm just...surprised."
"Me too."
When she didn't say anything else, I asked, "Do you think I'm making a huge mistake?"
In her thoughtful way, she asked, "Does it matter what I think?"
"Yes."
"It's not for me to judge, Iz."
"But you're my friend. I respect your opinion. I don't want you to think badly of me."
"You care too much about what other people think." she said it with sureness but also tenderness.
If anyone else had said it--my mother, Taylor, even Jere--I would have bristled. But not with Anika. With her, I couldn't really mind. In a way it was flattering to have her see me so clearly and still like me. Friendship in college was different that way. You spend all this time with people, sometimes every day, every meal. There was no hiding who you were in front of your friends. You were just naked. Especially in front of someone like Anika, who was so frank and so open and incisive and said..."

No comments:

Post a Comment