CDC

If you have any concerns or questions about COVID-19, please, please for the love, go to the CDC website. They will have the most accurate information you need.

Monday, August 12, 2013

HOOKED by Liz Fichera

When Native American Fredricka ‘Fred’ Oday is invited to become the only girl on the school’s golf team, she can’t say no. This is an opportunity to shine, win a scholarship and go to university, something no one in her family has done.

But Fred’s presence on the team isn’t exactly welcome — especially not to rich golden boy Ryan Berenger, whose best friend was kicked off the team to make a spot for Fred.

But there’s no denying that things are happening between the girl with the killer swing and the boy with the killer smile...

GET HOOKED ON A GIRL NAMED FRED.




First line:
"I believed that my ancestors lived among the stars."

I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would. 
Fred is your typical girl who feels she is not special and no way could any boy fall for her. 
Ryan is the typical hot boy who everyone loves. He's also a star player on the school golf team. 
Their two worlds intersect when Fred is invited to play on the all-boy golf team. And she's good. Better-than-all-the-boys good. Which doesn't fly for the other teammates.
And, she's a Native American who lives on the reservation, or rez, in a trailer and who's dad is the groundskeeper for the local golf course.
I really enjoyed reading about Fred and her heritage. I love how her friends and family watched over each other and took care of each other. 
Ryan's life is the contrast to Fred's.
I enjoyed some differences with this YA romance compared to others:
1. Fred was a girl.
2. Fred's passion was golf, and she was good.
3. Fred was Native American.

Fred was an intriguing character. But Ryan had the most growth I think. He stood up for Fred several times. I wish we could have read more about Ryan and Fred's relationship and their interactions.  A few times as I was reading, I thought of Romeo and Juliet.

The top book cover can really throw someone off reading this book so I included the other cover, which I'm not really a fan off because I can't tell what's going on...


Rating: PG 16
L: Yes. Swearing throughout (one girl likes to use the "F" word)
S: Kissing, making out
V: Fighting, bullying


Liked:
Fred
Golf themed story
Setting


Disliked:
Racism
Romantic relationship not more developed

Thanks for netgalley for the galley

3 1/2 STARS



 

No comments:

Post a Comment