CDC

If you have any concerns or questions about COVID-19, please, please for the love, go to the CDC website. They will have the most accurate information you need.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

THE IRON KING by Julie Kagawa


Meghan Chase has never fit in at her small-town high school, and now, on the eve of her 16th birthday, she discovers why. When her half brother is kidnapped, Meghan is drawn into a fantastical world she never imagined--the world of Faery, where anything you see may try to eat you, and Meghan is the daughter of the summer faery king. Now she will journey into the depths of Faery to face an unknown enemy . . . and beg the help of a winter prince who might as soon kill her as let her touch his icy heart. The Iron King is the first book in the Iron Fey series.

Honestly, people! I'm getting tired of trilogies! I just want to read a good book, set it down and not have to wait for the next book!
Now that I've had my rant, I'll continue with my review...
This book was action packed from beginning to end. Meghan is of two worlds, mortal and fey. She doesn't realize her heritage until she recognizes that the strange things happening around her are not of her world. Even her BFF isn't of the mortal world.
Not until her four-year old brother is kidnapped does she come to grips with an unseen world and an adventure/quest that will take her to the depths of despair where she will find her true powers.
Of course, every good book has a love triangle, right? And of course, Meghan has to fall for the wrong guy. But he is a cute and princely guy.
There were a few errors that took me out of the story. I had to reread a few sentences and paragraphs to find the right meaning.
There is a lot of swearing in the book. I gave it three stars on goodreads because I think it takes more creativity to find a way around using expletives and get the same effect.
THE IRON KING ends well, meaning no major cliff hanger but enough to wet my appetite for the next book. Please tell me it will be good! Sometimes the second book in a trilogy is just a bridge or info dumping for the third book...

Rating: PG 13 (only because of the swearing)
V: Yes. Fighting, blood, death
L: Yes.
S: No.

Page "69" test:

"Ah, no. That's not how the joke goes," called Rob. "I say 'knock, knock,' and you're supposed to answer with 'who's there?'"
"F*** off!"
"Nope, that's still wrong." Robbie seemed unperturbed, I, however, was horrified at Ethan's language, though I knew it wasn't him. "Here," continued Rob in an amiable voice, "I'll go through the whole thing, so you'll know how to answer next time." He cleared his throat and pounded on the door again. "Knock, knock!": he bellowed. "Who's there? Puck! Puck who? Puck, who will turn you into a squealing pig and stuff you in the oven if you don't get out of our way!" And with that, he banged open the door.
The thing that looked like Ethan stood on the bed, a book in each hand. With a hiss, her hurled them at the doorway. Robbie dodged, but on paperback hit me in the stomach and I grunted.
"Please," I heard Rob mutter, and a ripple went through the air. Suddenly, all the books in the room flapped their covers, rose off the floor and shelves, and began dive-bombing Ethan like a flock of enraged seagulls. I could only stare, feeling my life get more surreal by the second. The fake Ethan hissed and snarled, swatting at the books as they buzzed around him, until on hit him smack in the face and tumbled him off the mattress. Spitting in fur, he darted under the bed. I heard claws scrabbling against the woods as his feet vanished into the crawl space.. Curses and growls drifted out from the darkness.
Robbie shook his head. "Amateurs." He sighed as the books swooping around the room froze midflight and rained to the floor with echoing thuds. "Let's go, princess."

No comments:

Post a Comment