CDC

If you have any concerns or questions about COVID-19, please, please for the love, go to the CDC website. They will have the most accurate information you need.

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

VARIANT by Robison Wells


Benson Fisher thought that a scholarship to Maxfield Academy would be the ticket out of his dead-end life.
He was wrong.
Now he's trapped in a school that's surrounded by a razor-wire fence. A school where video cameras monitor his every move. Where there are no adults. Where the kids have split into groups in order to survive.
Where breaking the rules equals death.
But when Benson stumbles upon the school's real secret, he realizes that playing by the rules could spell a fate worse than death, and that escape--his only real hope for survival--may be impossible.


First Line:
"This isn't one of those scare-you-straight schools, is it?" I asked Ms. Vaughn, as we passed through the heavy chain-link gate.

I had a hard time getting into this story, mostly because didn't connect with the characters at all. The main character was so focused on one goal at the beginning that it started to drive me crazy. But then something happened to the girl he liked and that's when I got hooked but that wasn't until page 209.
This story is Lord of the Flies meets Maze Runner meets--I can't tell you the rest because that is the twist!



Liked:
The twist
The story idea
Actually liked the cliffhanger!

Disliked:
Not getting hooked until late
First book in a series (you know how I feel about reading trilogies. I usually don't unless all three books are out. I make exception for writers I know. Or writers of friends I know. Or...never mind).

Rating: PG 13
V: Some; one particular beating was hard to read but not graphic
L: None!
S: None!

3 1/2 STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment