CDC

If you have any concerns or questions about COVID-19, please, please for the love, go to the CDC website. They will have the most accurate information you need.

Friday, October 19, 2012

FIRE by Kristin Cashore

It is not a peaceful time in the Dells. The young King Nash clings to his throne while rebel lords in the north and south build armies to unseat him. The mountains and forests are filled with spies and thieves and lawless men.

This is where Fire lives. With a wild, irresistible appearance and hair the color of flame, Fire is the last remaining human monster. Equally hated and adored, she had the unique ability to control minds, but she guards her power, unwilling to steal the secrets of innocent people. Especially when she has so many of her own.

Then Prince Brigan comes to bring her to King City, The royal family needs her help to uncover the plot against the king. Far away from home, Fire begins to realize there's more to her power than she ever dreamed. Her power could save the kingdom.

If only she weren't afraid of becoming the monster her father was


First line:
"Larch often thought that if it had not been for his newborn son, he never would have survived his wife's Mikra's death."

I read this book right after the first one and was soooo confused that I put it down. Recently, I had a couple of friends tell me to try again and I did and I'm glad! I liked this book. I like Fire! She's awesome and strong and weak all at once. She actually had me wanting to understand my emotions better (strange, I know). Fire shows depth and character as she makes decisions throughout the book. She's awesome. She has many conflicting emotions (love the father/hate the monster he is).
The plot is constantly moving forward and I had a hard time putting the book down. I wanted to find out who won the war, who dies and if the love interest works out.
Archer was a bit of a cad, wanting Fire for himself for the wrong reasons but sleeping around with other women in the meantime. Not sure how many of the characters knew their true lineage...
The writing was good as well as the world building. The characters had strengths and weaknesses and flaws, which made them very real.
I'm ready to read the next one!

Rating: PG 17
S: Mentions of sleeping around, kissing
L: No
V: Fighting, swords, bows & arrows, war

Liked:
Fire's war with herself, finding peace
Prince Brigan
The writing

Disliked:
Sleeping around

4 STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment