CDC

If you have any concerns or questions about COVID-19, please, please for the love, go to the CDC website. They will have the most accurate information you need.

Monday, August 9, 2010

THE UNWRITTEN RULE by Elizabeth Scott

Another sweet and funny coming-of-age novel by the author of bloom; Perfect You; Something, Maybe; and Living Dead Girl.

From the back: He's looking at me-well, like he wants to look at me. Like he likes what he sees, and he's smiling and his eyes are so blue, even in the faint glow of the porch light they shine, and I nod dumbly, blindly, and then grope for the door handle, telling myself to look away and yet not able to do it. "Sarah," he says, softly,almost hesitantly, and my heart slam-bangs, breathing hard, and this is what it's like to want someone you can't have. to want someone you shouldn't even be looking at.

Easy, quick (finished it in about four hours) read about a girl who's obsessed with her BFF's boyfriend, Ryan, whom she's had a crush on since eighth grade. Three-fourths of the book is Sarah wanting said boy but not wanting to hurt her friends feelings.
Sarah has a parents who are kind and loving with a bit of quirkiness thrown in. She's loyal to Brianna because she rescued her from a bully in kindergarten. And yet, Brianna is always saying cutting things to Sarah like you'll get a boy soon enough when you grow up or comb your hair, it'll look better.
Brianna (BFF) has divorced parents who use her as a pawn in the their games. Brianna comes into her beauty and likes the power she has over boys. She also likes that she can leave them when they get too close. But Brianna would like a boy to really love her, say the words and not leave her even though she doesn't have the same feelings in return.
There isn't much depth to the characters or story.
I did like the writing style, though, so I might check out a different book by this author.
Teen girls might enjoy this book.

Ratings:
V: No
L: 4-5 "F" bombs at the climax plus a few other swear words
S: Kissing. A couple make-out scenes that aren't detailed.


Page 69 test:

"I have to look perfect," she says. "All you have to do is talk to him for a few minutes."
"Brianna--"
"Fine, don't talk. Just do homework with him. You can do that, right? You were going to do homework tonight anyway."
"Brianna," I say again, but she races upstairs,calling out, "You're the most awesomest ever, Sarah Bear," and I know that nothing short of Ryan himself going upstairs will get her to come down before she's ready.
I grab my homework and try to figure out where to sit. On the weird little bench by the front odor?
No, because then it will look like I'm waiting for him and I--
Well, the thin is, I am."

No comments:

Post a Comment