CDC

If you have any concerns or questions about COVID-19, please, please for the love, go to the CDC website. They will have the most accurate information you need.

Friday, December 31, 2010

Human Blend by Lori Pescatore

Marion, Virginia seemed like a nice place to live a normal life, but she is not a normal girl. Laney has special abilities that keep her looking over her shoulder as she makes her escape from the men who had kidnapped her. A young doctor's interest is piqued when he witnesses her mysteriously curing a young child's illness. He befriends her due to his growing fascination with uncovering the true nature of her abilities, but not without harboring secrets of his own. Laney's budding relationship with a local boy puts both of them in danger when the men she was hiding from find her. All of their lives will change forever as ancient secrets become unearthed.

Laney is used and abused from the time she was little. She runs away but is caught and pays for her escapes. This time she is careful and gets a new identity and moves to a small town, hoping for a 'normal' life.
Right away, normal seems to be what she gets: she becomes a volunteer at the hospital using her special healing powers, she gets a boyfriend and a doctor who isn't what he seems to be and at the same time is attracted to Laney.

I'm not sure how to review this book. I don't usually read/review adult romance. Some of the scenes made me uncomfortable.
I enjoyed the storyline and wanted to keep reading to find out what happened to the three main characters.  I must confess I shut the book several times and vowed not to continue reading only to open it again because I wanted to know the ending.
Why did I shut the book you ask? One reason: Lori really needed an editor/proofreader/critique group. There were many grammar, etc. errors that took me out of the story. Self-publishing is hard and I applaud Lori for getting her book written and published. Authors need to believe in their work and Lori does.
The characters were interesting. They had unique abilities that were uplifting but sometimes used for bad things. I enjoyed reading how they worked through their trials.
I would recommend this book as an adult romance.  This is also the first book of a trilogy.


Rating: PG 17
L: Swear words sprinkled throughout
V: Young girl beat up; people killed; nothing bloody or gory but sad
S: Yes but not graphic


"...that he does, she is unable to resist telling him what he wants to know.
"Ready to do this?" he asked her.
"Yes," she replied. "I'm going to go change first," she said.
"Meet me in my office," he said, and started off down the hall.
After changing, Julie made a quick call to the laundromat. she couldn't remember if she had made plans with Austin or not. "Hey, how's that washer coming?" she asked when she recognized his voice.
"Hey, Jules. It's all fixed actually. I picked up the part it needed after school, and she is up and running. Are you done work?" he asked.
"Yes and no. I am gonna hang out here. there is a little girl that is undergoing a procedure, and I kinda want to be here when she comes through it," she explained.
"Want me to come wait with you?" Austin asked.
"No, that's okay. I'm not sure how late it will run. Oh hey, I got some good news. I found an ad for an apartment, like one block from the hospital. I have an appointment to see it tomorrow morning," she said, changing the subject.
That's great, Jules," Austin said, sounding genuinely happy. "Maybe tomorrow night will have something to celebrate," he said.
"I'd like that," Julie said.
"Me too," Austin replied.
"Have a good night, then," Julie wished him.
"Sweet dreams," he said. Julie hung up and made her way to the doctor's office.
"All set?" Eli asked, when she entered.
"Ready when you are," she replied. Julie and Eli walked down to the room next door. it was a small, private, patient's room. Michele was there, still curled into her fetal position. The quiet, steady beeping of machines was the only sound.
"Before you begin," Eli said. "I want you to describe what you feel when you touch her," he said. Julie nodded and walked over to the child's sleeping form. She reached under the covers and..."

No comments:

Post a Comment