CDC

If you have any concerns or questions about COVID-19, please, please for the love, go to the CDC website. They will have the most accurate information you need.

Saturday, July 13, 2024

That last post made me feel like a total imposter

I Feel Like an Imposter Trying to Write the Stories in My Head

"Who are you to write this?" 

"Who do you think you are?"

"No one wants to read your stories." 

Ah! Imposter Syndrome! Thank you for rearing your ugly muzzle again. Understanding Imposter Syndrome

Imposter syndrome is insidious for writers, as the creative process often involves vulnerability and self-exposure. When I put my stories down on paper, I'm sharing a piece of myself with the world, and it's easy to feel unworthy or fraudulent. 

Why I Feel Like an Imposter

Several factors contribute to this feeling:

  1. Perfectionism: I want my first draft to be amazing. I want an agent to read through the first time and say, "Wow! Let's fix a few things and get you published!" Then I get my manuscript back from my critique group and it's bleeding red ink. 
  2. Comparison: I often compare my early drafts to the polished works of my favorite authors. This is an unfair comparison that only fuels my self-doubt. One of my good friends who's also an author was kind enough to read through my manuscript. When she sent it back, she also sent the warning: "there's a lot of red, but it's not a big deal. There's a lot of mistakes that even I have to fix. Also, you don't use ENOUGH commas! lol" 
  3. Fear of Failure: The fear of criticism and rejection can make me question my right to write and share my stories. 

Strategies I've Used to Overcome Imposter Syndrome

  1. Acknowledge My Feelings: I recognize that imposter syndrome is a common experience. Even the most successful writers have felt like frauds at some point.
  2. Shift My Perspective: Instead of viewing writing as a performance, I need to see it as a journey of discovery. I need to allow myself to make mistakes and learn from them.
  3. Celebrate Small Wins: Every word I write is a victory. I WILL celebrate the progress I make, no matter how small. Every word is a victory especially after I've come out of a depressed funk. 
  4. Seek Support: I've been in three different critique groups and NONE of them have told me to stop writing or that my stories were crap. I have several writer friends who are there for me and willing to look at my work. 
  5. Keep Writing: The more I write, the more I grow as a writer. Practice builds confidence. 

Embracing My Unique Voice

I remind myself that my stories are mine alone. No one else can tell them the way I can. My perspective, experiences, and imagination are unique, and they deserve to be shared. I embrace the journey of writing, imperfections and all. Over time, the voice of the imposter grows quieter, and the voice of the writer within me becomes stronger.

So, the next time I sit down to write and that nagging voice begins to whisper, I'm going to take a deep breath, acknowledge it, and keep writing anyway. My stories matter, and the world needs to hear them.



No comments:

Post a Comment